Get Chunked

Monday, May 29, 2006

7 comments
Every time I have gone to see a movie during the past 4 months or so, I have been assaulted by two lame commercials during the previews. The Pepsi ad about the soccer surfers is mildly amusing the first time you watch it, but turns into a full-force yawn after the 12th viewing. But the commercial that is an extreme offense to my intelligence is the advertisement for Rani Float.

You know the one I am talking about. Two or three idiots are standing around in the kitchen or in their school locker room when one of them decides to crack open a refreshing can of Rani Float drink. Doing so unleashes a swarm of orange phalluses which engulf the partakers in some sort of retarded mosh pit experience. This goes on for about 20 seconds or so, after which the winning tag line pops up on screen: "Rani Float: Get Chunked!"

Get chunked? What marketing genius came up with that lame phrase? It sounds like you are supposed to vomit all over yourself. And considering the unabashed contemptibility of the commercial, that's exactly how I feel after viewing it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

Oh my God I hate this ad too!

It's really stupid!

You should see the Arabic version, it goes like: Some punk kids wondering around in a mall, then all what u've described happen, then some guy shouts: The chunks are coming!

It's as smart as a door knob!

Do u ever get the chance to watch Arabic ads on TV?Maybe you should write about that :D? Actually you've missed the time when we had only local channels,the ads were just brilliant, espcially the Syrian ads ,so kitschy

5/29/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Firas, I think that anyone with an ounce of talent for producing commercials could make a killing in the Middle East.

5/30/2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Dave i see a lot of those commercials here in the Los Angeles via our satellite and they are too funy. some are pretty good, but as a whole lots of them need work.

but coming from a media and communication studies background, looking at many of the american commercials out here, you would think we americans would get it right too :P

5/31/2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger Moey said...

that's why u can get showtime or orbit, or do what i do.. get a tivo!

6/01/2006 8:32 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Linda, no kidding. 80% of commercials in America are pure crap. Another 10% are so blasé, they are completely ignorable. The remain 10% might actually have some redeeming value, with about half of those actually being funny, ingenious, or effective.

Moey, ah, Tivo! If I could actually get shows here that I want to watch, it would be worth looking into it. Until then, I have a web-based system set up where I can control my brother's Tivo back in the States to download all of my favorite shows.

6/01/2006 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys you are expressing your personal opinion here and that's fair.

However, most likely you are not really the sort of target audience that Rani is trying to reach. You are just an incidental 'spillover'.

Such TV commercials are researched and tested with the target audiences in the target markets before they hit the screen.

So believe me when I say that a majority of the intended audience LOVE the Rani ads and the proof is the sales have hit the roof. You can check out some of the articles published in industry magazines.... just google them.

Good blog though,

Cheers,

Karim

5/29/2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Karim, I'm not sure people are buying the drink because of the ads. I think people are buying the drink because it tastes good. That's the reason I drink it.

Nevertheless, it is my personal opinion which shouldn't matter as long as I'm consuming the product.

5/29/2007 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home