Google Gets It Right

Thursday, May 18, 2006

1 comments

Google Jordan
Several months ago there were concerns about the speed of Google in Jordan. A short time later, Google released Google.jo, which seemed to correct the speed issue, but did so in a presumptuous way.

After all, just because I live in Jordan doesn’t necessarily mean that I want to surf on Google.jo. The functionality was essentially the same aside from the fact that it displayed in Arabic (an option that was easily changed with a click). But the fact that Google assumed certain functionality for its users was a bit disturbing. This happened while I was in London recently, as well; my default page was Google.uk.

Call me picky, but if I want to use the traditional Google.com site, why redirect me to an alternative page? This is the era of web 2.0, after all. I should be able to have my cake and eat it too.

It appears that sometime in the past week (it may have happened before, but I didn’t notice it until recently), Google restored my lovely dot-com page with an option to use Google.jo.

Smart move, Google. I remain a fan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Madi said...

And what's more irritating that the results aren't the same however it might be useful

Despite I ticked 'Search the web' on Google.com/Jo/Ae/co.uk/ca I'm getting different results
Jo
Co.uk
AE
CA

while search for 'Politics'
I hope we wont be in 'Censored' political related search results for each country as they have it for Google China.

now this can be useful sometimes when you are searching for something related to a certain country or language but is that what meant to be?

5/19/2006 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home