A Day at Amman's Children's Museum

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

1 comments
Amman Childrens Museum
It's been about two months since the Amman Children's Museum opened its doors. Since that time, there have been several great articles and local reviews on the museum, but this past week was the first time I had a chance to check it out.

So a friend and I ventured out this past Friday with our kids (5, in total) to explore the museum. The museum advertises that it is designed to engage children ages toddler to 14, but I quickly found out it easily engages children around the age of 31.

I've been to some very nice children's museums in my day, the notable ones being the Chicago Children's Museum, the Los Angeles Children's Museum and the Richmond Children's Museum. After spending several hours at the Amman Children's Museum, I am happy to say that is easily on par with those three.

The museum is well-designed and fantastically outfitted with a great assortment of exhibits and activities. The exhibit signage is design to provoke learning and is written in both Arabic and English. The staff is very helpful and maintains a close watch on the kids, offering their assistance and expertise at just the right times. The museum is clean, spacious, and well decorated.

During my visit there were about a dozen or so exhibits that were not functioning (the signs said "under construction", which means broken). However, I did see maintenance men making their way throughout the museum, working on specific exhibits in order to get them back up and running. Even with the exhibits that were down, there was plenty to keep my kids busy.

I must applaud the Queen for her vision, which has now become a reality. I also applaud the designers and engineers who produced such a wonderfully thought out and creative space for children to explore and learn. And lastly, I applaud the director and staff of the museum for their care, maintenance, and hospitality. I hope the Amman Children's Museum continues to stand as a shining example of education for many years to come.

Update: Check out further pictures of the Children's Museum.

1 Comments:

Blogger MommaBean said...

Wanted to agree and add my kudos. El 3atal posted about our visit to the museum. We had a blast! Glad to see your article as well.

7/11/2007 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home