Amman Master Plan Sounds Good...So Far

Saturday, March 10, 2007

2 comments
The Greater Amman Municipality (GAM) is moving quickly in their completion of the final draft of the new Amman Master Plan, which they hope to have finished by by the end of the year.

According to the March 9-10 edition of The Jordan Times...
"Our vision is to ensure systematic and stable growth of the city rather than hap-hazard expansion," [Amman Mayor Omar] Maani said.

Reiterating GAM's commitment to enhance and rehabilitate the city center through several projects, he said the master plan is "a step forward towards a tidy and organized city, preparing it for decades beyond 2020."

The master plan is a response to the tremendous growth the capital has witnessed over the past several years, particularly with the influx of over 500,000 Iraqis.

[His Majesty King Abdullah] said the leading challenge would be to strike a balance that encourages growth, development and modernization, while at the same time ensuring the preservation of the capital's aesthetic qualities and charm.

As part of GAM's plans for downtown, the municipality will expand the green area in Omar Mattar Street, rehabilitate Rainbow and Faisal streets and restore Abu Darweesh Yard.

Stable growth rather than hap-hazard expansion. Expand green areas. Rehabilitate. Restore. The more I hear about this, the more there is to like.

I've been a supporter of an organized city master plan since before it was announced. I'm continually encouraged by what I see and hear concerning this up-and-coming Master Plan and the future growth of Amman. Obviously I have my doubts about certain issues, but I'll wait and see how things begin to develop.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plan...I just love it when I hear that word in Jordan! Even if only 15% of it actually happens, there was a plan and there will be more to come.

Glad to see you back!

3/12/2007 11:05 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Kinzi,

It's good to be back. I've been doing some traveling, which greatly cuts into my "computer time".

3/12/2007 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home