I Don't Care How Many Parking Spaces They Have...

Saturday, January 13, 2007

14 comments
I made the mistake of going to Carrefour last night. As I approached the only main entrance to the City Mall complex, I found myself in a long line of cars, which I assumed were also heading to Carrefour. After sitting in the line of cars for about a minute, I decided that this might not be such a good idea, but just as I was preparing to swing out into traffic, I discovered that I was blocked in on both sides by impatient, terrible drivers who don't know how to queue and are oblivious to the laws of the road. (Laws of the road, who am I kidding?)

Ten minutes later, I finally entered shoved my way onto the ramp that leads down to the parking garage. Due to the heavy amount of traffic, the garage security guards were ignoring the traditional "trunk check" and were waving cars along.

Another five minutes and I had descended to the bottom of the ramp and was about to enter the garage. All I could see in front of me was a line of cars, each one pausing as it entered into the garage. I couldn't determine what the hold up was, or why each car was being forced to stop.

Two minutes later, I rounded the garage door only to be stopped short by a parking attendant. I rolled down my window to receive this very important piece of information: "Park in Area 2."

What the heck? A huge traffic jam simply because the Carrefour parking attendants think that we're too stupid to find a parking space? Talk about insulting our sensibilities! And on top of that, the parking level was practically empty. Why do they care where I park? If I want to park half a kilometer away and walk, that's my business. Why not allow people to enter in a timely manner and find their own parking spot?

I finally parked my truck and entered through the lower entrance. Security was lax, as they were funneling people through the metal detector like cattle through a chute. People weren't being stopped and checked, even when the metal detector would screech in protest. They did, however, require me to remove my mobile phone before entering the detector. I feel safer knowing that all of the people in Carrefour aren't wielding explosive phones.

Half and hour into my venture, I was finally making my way up the escalators to the ground floor. I just wish that people would learn that the escalator isn't an attraction at an amusement park, and that you're supposed to exit the escalator in a timely manner since the oncoming traffic can't stop. You should have seen the pileup at the top of the escalator simply because some idiots just stood there looking around, deciding what to do. I'll tell you what to do: start walking!

I write all this to remind myself that next time I want to visit Carrefour in the evening — especially on a Thursday or Friday evening — I should just go soak my head in the toilet. It would probably be much more fun.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

That was really a great post Dave

You know ... we have a tendency to turn good into bad just by refusing to follow instructions

You are so right about the remarks you mentioned ... I have already suffered from them there ... too many people are going to explore the anticipated shopping outlet but at the same time .. we do not know how to be organized ... ehhh what to do?

1/13/2007 11:44 AM  
Blogger Madi said...

LoL
Carrefour is just Sagef al-seel 2007 :-)

1/13/2007 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is almost the same experience I have every time I shop at Costco's! People moving slower than snails, attendants that are there to check your card when you come in, even though you could be holding up your dental insurance card for all they care! I don't know how long costco has been in business, but people still act like they've never been there before, and the "pause to explore the surroundings every few minutes" is still there!

1/13/2007 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, thanks for the warning. I'll put off my C/F debut for another six months.

1/13/2007 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. NOOO way I'm ever going back there again. It's back to the warm and friendly Cozmo for me.

1/13/2007 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lool I still wanna go, but one entrance only?!! that's just insane

1/13/2007 7:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

damn everybody is talking bad about Carrefour, but then agian most of them are saying ill go back to shop from Cozmo... still havent been at Carrefour yet but i guess ill postpone it to 2 months later until people cools down and stop going crazy for it

1/14/2007 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hang on, isnt carrfour a supermarkt? am I the only one boggling at the idea of a METAL DETECTOR to a supermarket?

1/15/2007 12:45 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Loolt, not just a supermarket, but a foreign supermarket, which makes it a target for any fanatic out there trying to make a political or religious statement.

In the States, I would agree with the absurdity of the situation, but I'm a bit more cautious in Jordan.

1/15/2007 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave this is a re-incarnation of my own bad experience. For me getting out of the garage was even worse than entering. No way to substitute my favourite Safeway.

1/17/2007 3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll stick with C-TOWN for now. They seem to be fairly priced and their meat department is second to none.

2/03/2007 11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey pal , the same thing you talked about a long page and all these many faces people commened and complained , could happen in the BRONX-NY .
Haa

5/20/2007 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time please do shove ur head in your toilet. That would be best for all of us. stop writing, go back to ur country and get a life over there.

10/07/2009 7:18 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Anonymous #2, next time why don't you grow a pair and not post anonymously?

10/07/2009 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home