2Mbps...Finally?

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

8 comments
I contacted Wanadoo over a month ago to notify them that I wanted to upgrade to their new 2Mbps service.

Wanadoo gave me the run-around, referring me to Jordan Telecom. Jordan Telecom gave me the cold shoulder, telling me to call back later. I called the next day, only to be told that a technician would have to come out to the house sometime in the week to physically upgrade the line. It didn't make any sense to me, but then again, I've learned to accept many things that don't seem to make sense.

About a week later, Wanadoo called me to let me know that Jordan Telecom could not verify my address (they ran a phone line to my house, didn't they?), and could I please fax them a request for service, which should include my location and contact details. I informed them that I didn't have a fax machine (what is this? 1989?), so they told me that I could send the request to them from my Wanadoo e-mail account.

The problem is that I don't ever use my Wanadoo e-mail account. I don't even know what my password is to access my online Wanadoo customer care account. Instead, I sent the request from my usual e-mail account, explaining the situation, and requesting service.

I never heard back from Wanadoo.

Then yesterday, out of the blue, a Wanadoo salesperson calls me and informs me of their new 2Mbps line and asks me if I would like to upgrade for free. Eh? Have I not been bugging them about this for over a month? And is that even a question: would you like faster internet for free? Do people actually turn that offer down?

So according to the salesperson, my line should be automatically upgraded sometime in the next three days. I'm not holding my breath.

Update (Jan. 21): Well, it happened. As of this morning, my internet speeds have doubled. That's not to say that I am getting the advertised full 2Mbps, but then again, I was never really getting the full 1Mbps, either.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Also allow me to add that my internet connection has been extremely spotty over the past couple of days. About every 1/2 hour, I lose connectivity for about 5 minutes. In the evenings the outages can last as much as 30 minutes.

So in reality, a spotty 2Mbps connection is less useful than a solid 1Mbps connection.

1/17/2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger عادل said...

Hey man. Congrats. About your last comment. I think it's a general issue. I had this too.
:)

1/17/2007 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ADSL service, like everything else in Jordan, starts with a bang and ends with a whimper. When I got my ADSL a couple of years ago, the service was fantastic. connection up 99% of time. As time progressed, performance went down and down time went up.

Sorry, I can't help but see the symbolism behind everything around here.

1/17/2007 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

forget Wanadoo, try TE Data.

1/17/2007 5:03 PM  
Blogger Moey said...

mmm, I'm on 8 mb/sec dsl :)

1/17/2007 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moey is a big Liar :)

1/17/2007 11:36 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

This morning, from 8 AM to 10 AM, I've lost connectivity about a dozen times. Bah!

1/18/2007 10:07 AM  
Blogger kinzi said...

Those little breaks are all my fault...God knows I need a jolt to get the message:'you've been on the computer too long today!' :)

Sigh, life in Jordan.

1/18/2007 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home