Thoughts on Dubai

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

8 comments
Site Blocked
I just returned from my first trip to the Emirates, where I spent some time in Dubai and Sharjah. Here are my personal notes.
  • Flickr is blocked for no clear reason. Bah.
  • Everything is pretty clean and tidy.
  • People know how to drive properly.
  • It's hot.
  • Everything is air conditioned.
  • The food isn't that great.
  • Everything, and I mean everything, is available there.
  • It's stinkin' hot.
  • You can get all the hot water you need from the tap. Good luck getting cold water, though.
  • The current airport isn't well designed for the amount of traffic that it receives.
  • The government does a good job planning for the future.
  • All those push-the-envelope buildings are pretty hip.
  • It's clearly a cultural melting pot.
  • Did I mention that it is hot?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

u did not mention the most important thing, did u like it or not?

8/01/2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Sealover, I did enjoy it quite a bit. Not sure I would want to live there, simply because of the unbearable heat. Then again, if I had to, I guess I could manage. :)

8/01/2007 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Dave! MommaBean and I were just talking about you today, wondering where you were!

8/01/2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Yup, that's where I've been: busy traveling.

8/01/2007 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear the best months to be in Dubai are November and December as far as the temperture being adequate. I have yet to go there! Got any photos to share? :)

8/01/2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Ziad, I did take some pictures, but since I was at a conference at a resort in Sharjah, most of the pictures are of the resort complex. I took other pictures around Dubai and Sharjah, but I haven't had time to process them yet, so I'm not sure how they'll turn out. The weather was so hazy every day that it made for poor outdoor shots. I guess I'll just have to return when the weather is more clear. :)

8/02/2007 7:47 AM  
Blogger MommaBean said...

The thing I don't get is why all the people in Dubai and Abu Dhabi tags here drive so poorly. I noticed when we were the last year in December (and the weather was lovely) that people drove very well. Do they check the skills at the airport?

8/02/2007 7:09 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

MommaBean, I think the problem is not that they drive poorly here, but that they don't drive Jordanian. I find that if proper drivers don't adjust their technique to match the extremely poor quality of local drivers, they end up causing more problems in the long run. Ironic, but true.

8/02/2007 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home