Lost in Translation (In England)

Sunday, August 19, 2007

5 comments
When I arrived in Heathrow a couple days ago, I collected my bags and marched over to the Information Desk to inquire about a buses.

ME: I need to find the express bus to Gatwick. Where might that be?

LIMEY AT THE COUNTER (with slight distain): What your asking for is a coach.

ME: Whatever...I guess.

LIMEY AT THE COUNTER: Follow that ramp down to the Central Bus Station.

ME (with a cross look on my face): That's what I said...a bus!

5 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

Can't argue with the English.
They've invented English :D

8/20/2007 1:52 AM  
Blogger Who-sane! said...

LOL! Reminds me of the first time a British 'bloke' asked me if I "have a fag on me"!

8/20/2007 4:16 PM  
Blogger MommaBean said...

Well, they invented a crazy form of English where they call the same item different names at least! I need a coach so I go to the Bus depot? Where's the sense in that?

8/20/2007 8:32 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

MommaBean, it wasn't that I needed to catch a coach to the bus station; it was that I needed to take a coach from the bus station. So why don't they call it the coach station?

8/21/2007 11:44 AM  
Blogger MommaBean said...

Dave, my point exactly. Just call it the coach station. And what's with calling trucks "lorries" and trunks "boots"? I promise I would have a very difficult time getting around in Jolly Old England...

8/21/2007 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home