Game Boy Around the World

Sunday, October 22, 2006

10 comments
For Christmas this past year, my son received a couple new video games for his Nintendo Game Boy. Shortly thereafter, my parents came for a visit and we took them around to see all the famous touristy sites in Jordan. A couple months later I realized that every picture of my son taken during that time period and in various locations was of him playing his Game Boy.

This sparked an idea…a quest, so to speak. As my family travels throughout the world, how many famous locations could I capture my son playing his Game Boy? We began to take pictures in various countries so that I could put them online for family members to see.

Yesterday I uploaded the pictures to my Flikr gallery. When I woke up this morning, a friend of mine had e-mailed me with congratulations on being both "Dugg" and "You Tubed". I was absolutely amazing. In a matter of 12 hours, someone had discovered the pictures, added them to the famous news aggregator site, Digg, and the story had amassed nearly 1000 digs. Not only that, somebody had taken the photos and created slideshow to music (the original Super Mario Bros. theme, no less) and placed the video on You Tube. When I checked my Flickr gallery this morning, most of the Game Boy photos had over 8,000 and one photo had over 11,000 views all overnight!

This is probably a fluke, but perhaps this may spark a phenomenon. One comment by a Digg user was that Nintendo should capitalize on this and send us the new Nintendo DS Lite game system and a series of plane tickets. (I have to say that the same idea was not lost upon me when the idea first occurred.) So will you do me a favor? Will you help send this story to the top? Digg it!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.. amazing man, i sure digged it.. just reminds me of my nephew so much.. same habit, and now worse with a psp

10/22/2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for the digg, man. The plan is to get my kid the Nintendo DS Lite for Christmas, that is if Nintendo doesn't decide to reward him for the free advertisement and send one first.

10/22/2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Blogger said...

Wicked!That was really some story.
Though I didn't like the photo in Jesus tomb,at least you guys are lucky enough to go there.

I've never had a GameBoy in my life, now I know what I'll be asking for this Christmas.

How about a PSP3 for your kid?It will be released Nov17 in the US@ 500

10/22/2006 6:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Firas,

I'm of the mindset that the locations in the Church of the Holy Sepulcre are not where the actual events took place. Superstitious Christians worship the actual ground, making fools of themselves by kissing the stones and placing everyday objects on the ground in order to "suck up" some sort of holiness. If you saw the mockery that the church has created there, you might be inclined to agree with me.

As for a PSP, it's a little more than I care to spend on a 7-year-old when a $150 DS Lite will suffice.

10/22/2006 6:13 PM  
Blogger Blogger said...

Well, we have strong believe that this is the exact location.
If one is still in doubt, there are various miracles that occurred, though we don't weight much on miracles because we believe.
Christians don't worship the location or the stone. Though,in the bible people who actually touched Jesus's dress were healed because they reached out and believed.

Well,if I ever go there, I'll be one of those Christians you are talking about. Though I dn't agree of having everday objects for that reason. But if people do it out of respect and passion,I don't see why I should make fun of them, this was the message after all, to love and respect all people.

"Superstitious,fools,mockery"!

10/22/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Firas,

Not all Christians believe that this is the exact location of the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Christ. There is another location in Jerusalem that is archeologically more viable, although a concensus can not be reached by historians.

If you have a chance to visit certain locations in the Holy Land (namely the Church of the Holy Sepulcre and the Church of the Nativity), you will indeed see people worshipping the actual ground.

Regardless of the actual location, it pales in comparison to the events that transpired. Unfortunately the church seems to be focusing more on the location than the events.

10/22/2006 6:50 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Also, the people who touched Jesus' cloak were not putting their faith in the clothes themselves to heal them; their faith was in the power of the one who wore the clothes.

10/22/2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger Moey said...

still your son is smart hahaha nice

10/23/2006 4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, what a great story! You are going to be a hero to that son of yours.

My son wants a play station 2. I told him to save like it depended on him and pray like it depended on God. Wish I could figure out a clever deal like this and help him and God make it happen!

(I'm an American in Jordan too, but a mom :)

10/23/2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

It looks like the story has also hit Joystiq and the Nintendo forums.

10/25/2006 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home