Forbidden Love?

Thursday, September 06, 2007

13 comments
I'm noticing it more and more around my neighborhood...

I was walking down the street late one evening to dump my trash bags in the dumpster when I noticed a Jeep Grand Cherokee with tinted windows parked in an unlit section of the street. The odd thing was that there was a sun shade in the windshield, even though there wasn't any sun to block out. I stared at the Jeep for a a good 20 seconds as I walked past, a series of questions and scenarios going through my head. As I dumped my trash in the dumpster and turned around, the Jeep started up and peeled away. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what was probably taking place in a shaded Jeep parked on a quiet, dark street.

The next evening, I struck out for my nightly jog. As I was stepping out the front door I noticed two young girls walking past the house headed up the hill. I turned to run down the hill. A couple minutes later as I was finishing my mile loop, I was rounding the final corner when I noticed one of the girls sitting on a wall by herself. She was fiddling with her phone and I wondered where her friend went to. Then I saw them: the other girl and some guy sitting about 30 feet away in a shadowy, abandoned garage. Apparently the evening walk was just a cover for a secret rendezvous with a boyfriend.

Two days ago, in broad daylight, a young couple had parked under a tree on our street in broad daylight. He was sitting on the hood of the car and they were goofing off, flirting and touching, laughing and being "in love". This type of scene is becoming more and more common in public locations throughout Jordan.

Yesterday I was walking back down to the dump some trash into the dumpster (yes, I generate a lot of trash) when I noticed a condom lying on the road...and it had been used.

Apparently word is getting around that my sleepy, unlit street is the perfect after-hours hang out for forbidden lovers.

13 Comments:

Blogger Moey said...

it's been happening for a long time on jordan street as well

9/06/2007 1:13 PM  
Blogger Qwaider قويدر said...

Where's the night-vision Youtube video? :)

That's much better than people who take this as a profession. I've only been here couple of days, and it's all around me

9/06/2007 2:24 PM  
Blogger MommaBean said...

It may be time to move...

9/06/2007 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave live in love st,not bad at all for a book name,i think you can do it.

9/07/2007 3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There must not be any old ladies on your street. We have 3 or 4 who watch ours like hawks and routinely tell non-residents to shove off and park elsewhere.

Kinda disturbing, though. It would make me a little leary of night walks to the trash, glad that is your job and not your wife's. :)

9/07/2007 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is becoming more disturbingly common than before and I am not liking it ... a lot are calling for us to accept this as public affection but the way I see it is that it is way beyond that

Take a look:

http://www.anolitasmind.com/2007/08/28/ammanie-daters-%e2%80%a6-or-flirters/

9/07/2007 2:50 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Khalidah,

Yours was one of several recent blog posts in the Jordan blog-o-sphere that brought the subject to mind.

9/07/2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Mommabean,

If I slip on a used condom and break my back while walking down to the dumpster, I may have to take drastic action.

9/07/2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger Nas said...

call the cops...they might take you seriously because you're american.

then again..maybe not.

9/08/2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Hareega said...

whenever i read one of these stories one thing makes me very very upset... "Where are the pictures?"

9/09/2007 12:04 AM  
Blogger Rambling Hal said...

Ok...so...you JOG?! Out on the street? I feel so betrayed! What happened to our agreement that treadmills are oh so much better and let's avoid nature and the fresh air at all costs? :D

And Kinzi, you expressed gratefulness that it's him and not his wife who has to venture out at night, but, well, what these kids are doing isn't DANGEROUS exactly, is it? What's there to fear? Save for the slipping on a used condom bit.

9/18/2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hal,

I'm with you on the treadmill thing, but mine has found a new home with my sister in Maryland while I'm overseas. So I guess it's the street and fresh air for me.

9/18/2007 3:30 PM  
Blogger Completely Anonymous and 100% Private said...

Hahaha...and where is your street exactly?

It sounds like a much less tamed version of my college experience (condoms in the sreeet...PDAs..etc)

10/03/2007 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home